NOTICE OF VACANCY – SELECTBOARD
- In accordance with 24 V.S.A. § 961(a), the Selectboard of the Town of Sharon hereby gives notice of an anticipated vacancy created by the resignation of Mary Gavin in the office of Selectboard member with effective date to be announced.
- The Selectboard, pursuant to 24 V.S.A. § 963, will make an appointment to fill this vacancy. The person appointed will serve until a town election is had. Persons interested in serving as a Selectboard member for the Town of Sharon may submit a letter of interest along with a summary of relevant experience and/or a resume to the Selectboard Offices on or before September 28th, 2023.
- For questions related to the position and to submit a letter of interest, please contact Nicola Shipman, Selectboard Assistant at email@example.com, or Kevin Gish, Selectboard Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CITIZENS’ RIGHT TO PETITION FOR VOTE
- Titles 17 V.S.A. § 2643 and 24 V.S.A. § 963 grant citizens the right to petition for a vote to replace the Selectboard’s appointee at a special Town Meeting. If a special town meeting is called, the newly elected town officer will remain in office for the balance of the unexpired term. If a special Town Meeting is not called, the Selectboard’s appointee will remain in office until the next annual Town Meeting.
- To exercise this right, citizens must present a petition calling for an election for this office signed by five percent of the legal voters of the Town to the Town Clerk prior to the next annual Town Meeting.
Dated this 14th day of September, 2023.